James R. Andrews, MD | Orthopedic Surgeon
Dr. James Andrews is internationally known and recognized for his scientific and clinical research contributions in knee, shoulder and elbow injuries, as well as his skill as an orthopaedic surgeon.
Dr. Andrews is a founding partner and medical director for the Andrews Institute in Gulf Breeze, Florida. In addition, he is a founding member of the American Sports Medicine Institute (ASMI).
Dr. Andrews has been the mentor for more than 250 orthopaedic/sports medicine fellows and more than 45 primary care sports medicine fellows. Involved in education and research in sports medicine and orthopaedic surgery, he has made major presentations on every continent, and has authored numerous scientific articles and books.
Dr. Andrews graduated from Louisiana State University in 1963, where he was Southeastern Conference indoor and outdoor pole vault champion. He completed LSU School of Medicine in 1967, and completed his orthopaedic residency at Tulane Medical School in 1972. He had surgical fellowships in sports medicine at the University of Virginia Medical School in 1972 with Dr. Frank McCue, III, and at the University of Lyon, Lyon, France in 1972 with the late professor Albert Trillat, M.D., who was known as the Father of European Knee Surgery.
Memberships, Academic Appointments & Accolades
Dr. Andrews is a member of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He has served on the Board of Directors of the American Orthopaedic Society of Sports Medicine, and served as Secretary of that Board from May 2004 to May 2005. He has served on the Board of Directors of the Arthroscopy Association of North America and the International Knee Society. He is Clinical Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Alabama Birmingham Medical School, the University of Virginia School of Medicine, the University of Kentucky Medical Center, and the University of South Carolina Medical School. He has been awarded a Doctor of Laws Degree from Livingston University, Doctor of Science Degree from Troy State University and a Doctor of Science Degree from Louisiana State University.
Dr. Andrews’ Affiliations, Associations & Honors
- Senior Orthopaedic Consultant for the Washington Redskins Professional Football team.
- Medical Director for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays Professional Baseball Team.
- Co–Medical Director for Intercollegiate Sports at Auburn University.
- Senior Orthopaedic Consultant for Intercollegiate Athletics at the University of Alabama.
- Orthopaedic consultant for the athletic teams of Troy University, University of West Alabama, Tuskegee University and Grambling University.
- Team physician for the Birmingham Barons Double A Professional Baseball Team, an affiliate of the Chicago White Sox.
- Co–Medical Director of the Ladies Professional Golf Association.
- Member of the Sports Medicine Committee of the United States Olympic Committee.
- Former committee member of the NCAA Competitive Safeguards in Medical Aspects of Sports Committee.
- Current member of the Medical and Safety Advisory Committee of USA Baseball.
- National Medical Director of Benchmark Medical, Inc.
- Board of Directors member for FastHealth Corporation.
- Board of Directors member for Robins Morton Construction Company.
- Board of Trustees member for Troy University.
- Alabama Sports Hall of Fame inductee and was named recipient of the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame 1992 Distinguished Sportsman Award.
- Louisiana State University (LSU) Alumni Hall of Distinction. Inducted 1996.\
At present, Dr. Andrews serves as Co–Medical Director for Intercollegiate Sports at Auburn University. He is Senior Orthopaedic Consultant for Intercollegiate Athletics at the University of Alabama. He is the orthopaedic consultant for the athletic teams of Troy University, University of West Alabama, Tuskegee University and Grambling University.
- Gensco® Pharma Partners with IntelGenx to Market RIZAPORT® in the United States December 12, 2018 Featured, Industry, Press Release, Product Update - Miami, Florida, December 12, 2018 – Gensco® Pharma, a leading specialty pharmaceutical manufacturer specializing in more...
- AAP Issues Flu Vaccine Recommendations for 2018-2019 September 6, 2018 Articles, Industry - All children should receive the flu shot as soon as it is available: AAP [To more...
- A Case Study of Treatment of Recalcitrant Nonpressure Chronic Ulcers Using Astero Gel Topical Hydrogel with 4% Lidocaine for Autolytic Debridement and Pain Management November 13, 2017 Articles, Clinical, Featured, Research -
- An Exploratory, Single-blind Study to Evaluate Both the Onset of Anesthesia of LiDORx® in Patients Aged 18–88 Years November 9, 2017 Clinical, Research -